Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Death of a Button: Act I...

After last week's two failures, I've decided it was time to retool my concept and design. Although, I'm still using the button as a subject of aggrandizement, the object itself has become much less prominent; in fact, in what I'm calling Act I (not yet complete), the button does not even make an appearance until the end. I've made this decision because my past work has become mired in lackluster animation that's both stagnant and unimaginative...

Now, as to concept--I've decided to achieve aggrandizement in the most absurd of ways: I'm going to eulogize a button. In itself, the act of eulogizing a human being, is aggrandizement (perhaps the ultimate form, when combined with martyrdom); however, I wish to make a point with this ridiculous anthropomorphism: by performing the act of eulogy for a button--something that obviously neither dies, nor performs any actions other than the joining an article of clothing--I am making reference to many of our own forms of aggrandizement that are just as absurd. As time goes on, I'll make this connection clearer...

Act I, deals with the concept of death from life--that this button is somehow dying so that other forms of life may flourish (ridiculous, I know). Visually, I've chosen to represent this concept through the use of abstract, living tears that seem to form from nothingness and coalese back into nothingness; I've also given them a snake like appearance, in reference to some creation myths that see the snake as a creative force. The text will eventually read "so that others might live, the button must die."

2 comments:

Cat B. said...

I get the life aspect from the first scene, although your form can be seen as a snake I think that you could add snake life motion to your abstract form. I do not see or do not understand where this movie clip shows the death of this button. I seems like you could show different life stages (a sequance of time) to get this point across.
As a whole, this is much better than your previous project.

Marc Aaron said...

Short in content, but the style was pretty sweet.
Still not sure about the concept. Of course there really wasn't enough there to build up your concept. So, I geuss I'll just wait and see.